Pension provision for people living abroad

For those who have already reached retirement age, or are just approaching it, the issue of pension provision is very relevant. In Russia citizens simply turn to the nearest branch of the Pension Fund for any pension matter, but, while living abroad, they do not always know where to start from and where to turn to.

Previously, the RF Consulate General was involved in the assignment of pensions, but since February 1st, 2015 the order changed. Now the application and all necessary documents are submitted directly to the Pension Fund. They can be sent by mail, or transmitted through a legal representative. Documents are sent to the territorial body of the PF at the place of your registration (registry) in the Russian Federation. If you do not have a registration in Russia, they are submitted to the Department of the Pension Fund in Moscow.

Before you start collecting documents, you need to make sure that you belong to the category of people eligible for pensions. There is one nuance at that point, and in order to understand it, we will focus on two types of pensions: insurance pension (also called labor pension) and social pension (old-age pension). The first is appointed with the necessary insurance experience and is paid regardless of the place of residence. The second one belongs to the category of pensions for state support, and is assigned to citizens who have reached retirement age (in the Russian Federation it is 60 years for men and 55 for women), irrespective of whether they have an insurance period of time or not, but only on the condition of permanent residence in the territory of the Russian Federation. Thus, living outside the Russian Federation, we have the right to receive a labor pension, but not a social pension.

It is rather difficult to understand the issues of appointing and calculating a pension without the help of a specialist. Therefore, our lawyers are always ready to provide you with professional assistance and support in these or other issues. You can contact “Ilona Translations” and we will do our best to solve your problem as soon as possible!

Call us to get free consultation on any questions that interest you